Saturday, November 21, 2015

DAY 39 : AMMUNITION FOR RAINY SEASON

21 November 2015, 9:47 p.m (GMT+7)

Day 39

Good evening from Indonesia, folks!! It's Saturday, and still having holiday after exam. And, yeah, somehow feel lonely and bored that i have to struggle with some triggers and urges that may happen during these days..

Anyway, i just came back from shopping for about 5 hours ago, and on the way there, i had to meet rains with thunderstorms again. Maybe, some of you may have known that i had some fears of rainy season. I might think it's kind of phobia.. It's kind of relapsed phobia, because that was cured for about 8-9 years ago, and it hit me again this year, like last February.. So, right now, i feel really scared of any rain that happen.


My fear will increase also, because i just read the news that my city will suffer from La Nina, it's like the compensation effect of El Nino. El Nino itself is the prolonged duration of summer, or let's say, dry season.. Yeah, rain supposed to come on October, but, for this year, rainy season started in the middle of November. And, according to meteorologist, La Nina will reach my city in December, La Nina is like the cooling, so there will be increased rainfall, with quick winds and also, thunderstorms!


After exploring about my fear of rainy season, i concluded that there are 3 reasons why i am afraid of rainy season, which are thunderstorm sound, the lightning, and blackout! Yeah, my city often experience blackout if there is heavy rain with thunderstorms and quick winds. For those of you who doesn't know, blackout is a condition where you don't have any electricity at your house, or maybe your neighbourhood.

Okay, so, of course, i have to face my fear, as what my friends had suggested me, because the only way to cure yourself from the fear is by facing it! So, let me show you my ammunition for rainy season!!

1. For the thunderstorm sound and lightning, i applied a method called "desensitization", it is like, exposing yourself to material that can trigger your fear. So, for this method, i searched some YouTube videos related to those two, like compilation or whatever. Even, i watched the documentary of lightning, so i have to know how to save myself from lightning. Yeah, although we have overcome the fear, it doesn't mean, we don't need to stay away from it. It may danger yours, eventhough 90% of people who get struck will survive. But, yeah, to prevent is better than to cure, right?



So far, what i got from these method is, when the thunderstorm comes, stay inside. It will make you safer. But, yeah, i have to prepare at least for the lightning part, because it really makes me scared.. Maybe, for the thunderstorm sound, i can use headphones while raining, and listen to some music or maybe radio if i feel bored.

Not only that, so far, during the rainy season in my country, the thunderstorm and lightning are not that big, but yeah, still need to prepare. And also, from the videos i have watched so far, the great lightning hits some rural areas, yeah.. i live in the urban areas, so it may be fine for me, i hope so..

2. For the blackout, i have to do something which is not boring for me. Because, mostly, i used to live with some electronics, like computer and smartphone, or even WiFi connection. For now, i have bought lots of books, yeah.. medical books, religion books, motivation books, or even puzzle!! I also will buy some emergency lamp if in case, the blackout happens at night. So, i can learn or read something during the blackout. I also need to buy a powerbank to maintain the battery of my smartphone, in case, the blackout happens for a long time. Yeah, these rarely happens so far, but i still need to prepare for it.


3. I also need to start on doing cognitive therapy and relaxation therapy. Right now, i will find some meditation videos or controlled breathing methods, so when the rain comes, i try to remain calm and also realize that i am right now in safer place, so you will never experience thunder strikes.


I think, by applying these 3 methods, it will make me to survive during the forthcoming rainy season. Right now, my city is in the transition phase, yeah from dry season to rainy season. So, it's also a good time to prepare for the rainy season. Because, generally, rainy season is really great. You can feel calm by the sound of rain. I hope, i can also.. Amen..

No comments:

Post a Comment